Kinds of hosting solutions
A hosting solution involves depositing and/or sharing given web content on a server hosted by a web hosting company. There are various types of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's have a glance at these. Thus, you can pick what you need, depending on whether you wish to set up a web site, email address accounts, or to share files with chums and associates.
- File hosting: a service delivered by various hosts, which allows you to share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a table of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting accounts often involve advertisements beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a given period of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file storage account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely distorted interpretation of the literal connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would share the load between separate hosts of servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending miscellaneous site hosting services (email, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a kind of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; some companies provide a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting variant is appropriate if you wish to share a big quantity of pics with comrades or partners since the service is usually free of cost. You will get a random link for each and every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to taking care of your mail accounts. Some distributors provide web site hosting solutions for sites, but do not provide an email hosting service. If you want to keep an email address with your domain name but do not wish to run a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can set up e-mail box accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file generates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with several video files and a few hundred site visitors, you may have difficulty with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to utilize as many video files as you want without worrying about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to own a web site. To some degree, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting categories since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and email accounts, upload video files, etc. At myhostnet, for example, you can view web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that allow you to have all of the aforesaid services in a single place. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the ordinary e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for specific content exclusively.